This Chocolate Banana Milkshake is so decadent and sweet that you'll forget it's good for you. It's only about 240 calories of quality, wholesome ingredients and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. You'll only need 3 ingredients to make it!
If you love a chocolate and banana combo, try my Chocolate Baked Oatmeal. It's like a single serving of chocolate cake, made with extra-ripe bananas!
Want more healthy chocolate desserts without bananas? My Snicker Date recipe is another perfect sweet treat you can enjoy!
❤️Why You'll Love this Recipe
- You only need a few ingredients: bananas, almond milk, and cocoa powder.
- It's a healthy treat that you can enjoy for breakfast or dessert!
- It's quick to make.
- This chocolate banana milkshake tastes a lot like a regular milkshake!
- Frozen bananas: Make sure they're extra ripe before you freeze them! Use bananas that have brown spots. The more speckled, the sweeter it will be.
- Almond milk: Or other non-dairy milk such as oat milk, cashew milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. Make sure to use one that you like the taste of.
- Cocoa powder: I like cacao powder best because it's typically less processed than cocoa powder. If you don't want a chocolate shake, then leave out the cocoa and use half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Place the frozen bananas, almond milk, and cocoa powder in a high-speed blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
Pour into a milkshake glass and add your favorite toppings!
If you cannot finish this single-serving milkshake, you can freeze it in an airtight container. To thaw, let it sit at room temperature, then mix well.
- Use extra-ripe bananas: This will make your milkshake extra sweet.
- Add sweetener to taste: If you need your milkshake to have extra sweetness, add in pure maple syrup to taste.
- Use less milk for a thicker milkshake: Use ½ cup of almond milk or high-fat milk such as coconut milk for a thicker consistency.
- High-speed blender: I use a Vitamix, but any high-speed blender will do.
❓Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe for a banana milkshake is healthy. It's made without ice cream, so it has no added sugar and uses fresh ingredients. It only takes 3 ingredients: bananas, almond milk, and cocoa powder.
Bananas contain nutrients that moderate blood sugar levels, support heart health, contain antioxidants, could help digestive health, and may help keep you full for longer. Read more about the health benefits here.
Almond milk is low in calories and sugar (if using store-bought, choose unsweetened and check ingredients/labels), and it's high in vitamin E. Read more here.
Cocoa powder is rich in polyphenols (naturally occurring antioxidants) that may reduce high blood pressure and are good for blood flow and brain health. It's best to use one that's at least 72% cocoa. Find out more about the benefits of cocoa powder here.
For a thick milkshake, you'll want to use either less milk (up to ½ cup) or one high in fat, such as coconut milk. You can use coconut milk from a carton, or for an even thicker consistency, use coconut milk from a can.
Answers can vary by person. My answer is yes. You typically can taste the banana. So, if you don't like the flavor, you may not enjoy this recipe.
Typically for a milkshake, you want to use milk that has a high-fat content. For a thick milkshake, use one high in fat, like coconut milk. If you don't need yours thick, you can use any milk that you like the taste of.
Yes! This recipe is vegan and also gluten-free.
🥜Toppings or Add-ins
- Dairy-free chocolate sauce: I like to use Ghirardelli Premium Chocolate Sauce from Walmart. You may check for cross-contamination if needed.
- Peanut butter
- Chopped nuts
- Melted dairy-free chocolate
- Dairy-free whipped cream
- Cacao nibs
- Crushed Oreos
⭐️Before you go! If you enjoyed this recipe for the best Chocolate Banana Milkshake, share it with me down below by leaving a review. I love to hear form you!
Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- High speed blender
- 2 overripe frozen bananas medium
- ¾ cup almond milk unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 100% pure maple syrup optional, to taste
- dairy-free whipped cream
- dairy-free chocolate sauce
- cacao nibs
- crushed Oreos
- Add the frozen bananas, almond milk, and cocoa powder to a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a milkshake glass and add your favorite toppings!
- Use any plant-based milk that you like the taste of.
- If you want your milkshake sweeter, add some pure maple syrup until it's as sweet as you'd like.
- If your banana is not ripe, it will leave your milkshake having a bitter/sour-like taste. For sweetest taste, freeze your bananas once they are extra ripe.
- If you want a thicker milkshake, try adding up to ½ cup of almond milk or a high fat milk such as coconut milk.
- The nutrition label does not include toppings.
Note: The nutrition label is only an estimate. Amounts may vary.