The only way to drink almond milk is to drink it homemade. Homemade almond milk tastes nothing like the stuff you buy at the store. The difference is so big, I'd hardly even consider them the same thing.
Homemade almond milk is so much better for you because its not packed with any fillers or preservatives, making the taste so pure and luscious. It's even up-leveled my cooking and baking skills because the taste does not come through in dishes, unlike store bought milk alternatives. It's a REAL game changer.
All you need are just two simple ingredients and a couple of kitchen materials.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don't use or trust. Thank you for your support.
Materials You'll Need
- High-speed blender- While it is helpful to have a quality blender, you don't have to have a high end one to make it. It may take a bit longer to blend in a different blender, but you can definitely use the one you already have at home.
- A Nut milk bag is a super fine mesh bag that will strain the almond pulp and leave you with smooth, luscious almond milk.
- A large bowl
How to Make Homemade Almond Milk
Start by putting 1 ½ cups of almonds in a high-speed blender.
Then add in 6 cups of water.
I blend it until I can no longer hear chunks of almonds breaking up in my blender. This process is very quick with a Vitamix, taking less than a minute.
Next, take a large bowl and place the nut milk bag inside of it. Opening it up to pour the contents through it.
Pour the almond milk through the nut milk bag and squeeze it until there's nothing left but dry almond pulp in the bag.
I like to rinse my blender at this point and pour the pure almond milk from the bowl, back into my blender so that it is easy to pour into the carafe I store it in.
How long will homemade almond milk last?
This almond milk will last in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 1 week. Make sure you shake before each use. The almond milk and oil (from the natural fats of the almonds) will separate.
With your delicious homemade almond milk, try out this vegan chocolate milk recipe!
Homemade Almond Milk
- Nut milk bag
- Large bowl
- 1 ½ cups almonds
- 6 cups water
- Place water and almonds in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until you can no longer hear chunks of almonds breaking up in the blender.
- Set the nut milk bag in a large bowl and pour the milk through the bag to strain.
- Squeeze the bag until only the dry pulp is left in it.
- Rinse your blender and pour the strained almond milk from the bowl, back into the blender so that you can easily pour in into milk jars or a carafe.
- Store for up to a week in the fridge or use immediately. Shake as needed as the contents will separate.
- There will be froth at the top, which is perfect for coffee. It will go down as it settles.
- Make sure to shake before each use as the oils and water will separate.
*Note: The nutrition label is only an estimate. Amounts may vary.