For anyone who thinks a Vegan White Bean Soup is boring, they haven't tried this one! It's PACKED and layered with flavor that will leave you wanting to lick the bowls and spoons that touch it! It's vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, creamy, healthy, hearty and FRESH.
The freshness not only comes from the vegetables, but the freshly squeezed lemon juice gives it just a subtle and fresh tang. And that's part of why you'll want to enjoy this creamy white bean soup with the big soup spoon.
Another reason that everyone will love this is because it doesn't have any weird ingredients! No non-dairy milks or anything one might call weird. Just simple ingredients that you may already have on hand!
Ingredients You'll Need
Potatoes- for this recipe I used russet potatoes. I normally buy russet, yellow and red potatoes. If I only had one or the other on hand, that's what you'd find me using! However, russets are really my go-to potato!
White wine- this is a pretty budget friendly vegan white bean soup recipe, so you don't have to have anything fancy here. Use a white wine you enjoy the taste of. If you aren't used to cooking with wine, don't worry. It will cook out and not taste of alcohol. But, it will provide a fantastic flavor to the soup that you won't get with just broth!
Vegetable broth- I like to go for a reduced sodium broth to keep the sodium content lower. Also, I want to add that if you aren't vegan and you have chicken broth on hand, use it! It does give a really good flavor, but this is a vegan recipe. So for the purposes of staying vegan, if that's your style, use vegetable broth!
Great northern beans- I have not made this recipe using dried beans! However, I think dried beans have a fantastic flavor and would be amazing in this recipe!
Lemon juice- most white bean soups don't call for this. But I think it's part of what truly makes this the best ever white bean soup!
Salt and pepper
How to Store it
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy for 4-5 days. The flavors will develop over those few days and taste even better!
- I have not froze this soup myself, but I've read that it freezes great, as most soups and sauces do. Make sure you store it in a freezer safe, airtight container leaving about an inch of space at the top. Freeze up to 2 months
Other Soups You May Like
If you try this Vegan White Bean Soup, please leave a review and let me know if you enjoyed it! Also, snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @thedairyfreemenu. I'm so happy to hear from you!
Vegan White Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ large onion (or about 1 cup) finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves grated
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- 1 ½ cups potatoes chopped in small bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 cans vegetable broth (reduced sodium) can use chicken broth for non-vegan
- 3 cans great northern beans rinsed and drained
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice fresh
- 1 ½ cups chopped kale optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and chopped onion. Let cook down for about 5 minutes. I sprinkle it with some salt to draw out the water from the onions so it will cook faster.
- Next, add the grated garlic, carrots and potatoes. Sautee for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the spices.
- Pour in the white wine and then the broth.
- Toss in the white beans and the lemon juice, then stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cover for about 20 minutes.
- For a creamier soup, you can take about 2 ½ cups of the beans with a little bit of the liquid and blend in a blender. Add back into the pot and stir until well combined.
- If you choose to add kale, now is the time to add it. Place the lid back on the pot and let the kale cook for about 5 minutes. Then remove from the heat.
Note: Nutrition label is just an estimate. Amounts may vary. Label does not include added salt or a reduced-sodium version of broth*