There are so many different combinations you can make when throwing together a salad. Salads are so simple yet, at times, I find them overwhelming because of the endless options. For the last year, this quick strawberry walnut salad has been my go to salad-- and there's nothing overwhelming about it! Except maybe with how delicious it is.
This salad is topped with the most perfect, light and flavorful dressing that I'm going to show you how to make.
It's also healthy, really easy and you likely have all the ingredients already. So don't even think about using the bottle of dressing in your refrigerator that you purchased from the store. Of course, I won't know if you do. But you'll know and you don't want to miss out on this. In fact, make a bigger batch and keep it on hand for hard times.
Ingredients for a Strawberry Walnut Salad
- Arugula and spinach mix- you can use either or. Sometimes I do to use what's on hand. But if you can, use a mix of both! These greens are fantastic for your health and simply delicious. I love the taste of arugula with this salad because it naturally has a peppery taste that blends perfectly well with the flavors in this dish
- Red onions add a beautiful pop of color. It's my go to onion for salads!
- Toasted walnuts- you of course don't have to toast these. If I'm pinched for time, I don't worry about it. But toasting the walnuts brings out the flavor in them! So it's recommended
- Strawberries that are a deep red are the perfect ones for this salad because that means they are perfectly ripe, of course. When your strawberries have the perfect sweetness to them, they take this salad to a different level!
Traditional strawberry walnut salads have feta cheese in them. If you would like to add more protein to this salad, top it with crumbled tofu! It definitely will look like feta and if you like the taste of it, which I do, then go for it and get you some extra protein!
Grilled chicken would also be a great add-on for protein!
For the dressing
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Strawberry Walnut Salad
- 1 oz arugula and spinach mix
- 2-3 sliced strawberries medium
- ½ oz sliced red onion just enough to fill your palm
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts toasted, optional
- 1 tbs olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- Start by toasting your walnuts in a 350°F oven for about 5 minutes to bring out its flavors
- In a small dish, mix together the ingredients for the dressing
- Mix all of your salad ingredients into a bowl or salad plate and mix in the dressing. The perfect way to mix the dressing evenly is to put the salad in a bowl with a lid and shake it up for about 30 seconds