Pancakes are one of those indulgent breakfast foods that everybody loves, but surely knows that they are not exactly the healthiest breakfast choice. The classic pancake recipe usually contains white flour, which is really processed and doesn't have the best nutritional profile. Classic pancakes are also typically high in refined sugar, which provides us with nothing for our nutrition. These healthy dairy-free pancakes are an exciting recipe because it's going to look and taste like your traditional pancake recipe-- but with ingredients you can feel good about.
What Makes These Healthy Dairy-Free Pancakes Healthy?
- Oat flour- to name a few reasons why oat flour is best: it's high in fiber, protein, healthy fats including omega-3s, it's great for heart health, can lower cholesterol, decrease blood pressure and help keep you full for longer
- Cinnamon- might help lower blood sugar levels
- Almond milk- homemade is always best as far as nutrients, ingredients and taste, but use what you have. Almond milk is low in carbs/sugar (if you're buying from the store, use unsweetened and check the ingredient list), and it's high in vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant
- 100% pure maple syrup- it's lower on the glycemic index than table sugar and contains antioxidants
- Eggs- they are high in protein, vitamins, minerals and have multiple antioxidants that are great for your health!
How to Make These Pancakes
To make these healthy dairy-free pancakes, start by putting your rolled oats into a high speed blender, and blend until oats are completely ground up.
Sift the oats into a mixing bowl and discard any pieces of oats that did not get ground up completely. Then sift the rest of the dry ingredients.
Mix the wet ingredients together, combine with the dry and mix until well incorporated.
The batter will be liquidy at this point. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to thicken. The longer it sits, the more it will thicken.
Once the batter has thickened, scoop out ¼ cup of the pancake mixture out and pour on a nonstick pan over medium heat.
When you start to see air pockets or "holes" in the batter, it is ready to flip.
Serve with your favorite tasting non-dairy butter and drizzle with pure maple syrup.
Healthy Dairy-Free Pancakes
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- In a high speed blender, blend the oats until they are ground into a flour
- Sift the oats into a mixing bowl and discard any oat pieces that did not get ground up
- Sift the rest of the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated
- The batter will be very liquidy at this point. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to thicken. The longer it sits, the more it will thicken
- Scoop out ¼ cup of pancake mix onto a non-stick pan over medium heat
- Flip the pancake once air pockets or "holes" form in the pancake and heat on the other side until the pancake is cooked through
- Serve warm with your favorite tasting vegan butter and pure maple syrup