This recipe for Easy Vegan Feta is so simple to make. You only need about 5 minutes to throw it all together and then you just let it marinate overnight. It has a soft texture with a cheesy and tangy taste, which makes it great to pair with salads, pastas, breads and more!
Use this vegan feta cheese over my Dairy-Free Greek Salad. It's a great way to add flavor, protein and texture. Another great option is to use it with my Strawberry Walnut Salad. These salad dishes are older recipes on the blog, but they go perfectly with this vegan cheese!
🧀What is Vegan Feta?
Vegan feta is a feta cheese alternative. Traditional feta cheese is made from sheep or goats milk, and vegan feta cheese is typically made using tofu and other ingredients. Some vegan recipes use tofu as the base and then add ingredients such as cashews and/or agar agar with spices and acids such as lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
Recipes that use agar agar or cashews are blended with a block of tofu, and then chilled to slice or crumble. This is an easy recipe that just requires slicing and marinating the tofu.
❤️Why You'll Love this Vegan Feta
- As far as preparation goes, this is a quick vegan feta recipe. The longest part of the process is waiting for it to marinate.
- It's a great way to get extra protein.
- You don't need a blender!
- It's delicious!
Extra firm tofu: Firm or extra firm is the best tofu to use because the water content in it is just right. Anything less, such as silken tofu, will have too much water and the texture won't be right. Anything more, such as super firm tofu, will not hardly have any water and will have too much of a firm/meaty texture.
Lemon juice: My anthem with lemon juice is that fresh is best. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Add the olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt and fresh dill into the bottom of a 32-ounce mason jar. Mix it together and set aside.
Drain the water from the tofu package, then press it with paper towels to remove excess water. Next, chop the tofu in bite size pieces.
Add the tofu in the mason jar.
Tighten the lid onto the jar and shake to combine, then refrigerate overnight. Shake the jar every now and then while it marinates.
The longer it marinates, the more flavorful it will be.
Enjoy with pizza, pasta, salad, toasted breads and more!
Apple cider vinegar: Use extra lemon juice in place of apple cider vinegar if needed.
Olive oil: I would recommend using avocado oil in place of olive oil if needed.
A wide-mouth 32-ounce mason jar, cutting board and a knife is about all the equipment you need for this recipe.
- Press the tofu! Pressing the tofu helps remove excess water from it, giving it a firmer texture. You don't have to use a tofu press. You can press out the water using paper towels, or make your own tofu press by setting a pan on top of the tofu with heavy kitchen items.
- Don't use silken tofu. Silken tofu has a higher water content and the consistency won't be right.
- I recommend marinating the vegan feta for at least 24 hours if you can! The longer this tofu feta marinates, the more flavor it will have.
This vegan feta will last in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about a week.
⁉️Frequently Asked Questions
Use vegan feta any way you would use regular feta. Over salads, pizza, potatoes, eggs, pasta, sandwiches and more.
This recipe is healthy. It's made with tofu which is high in protein, antioxidants, may support heart and bone health and more! It's also made with nutritional yeast, which contains a lot of nutrients (hence it's name), fresh lemon juice and heart healthy olive oil.
This recipe is naturally gluten free.
Yes! While you're likely not going to fool anybody with this recipe, it still has a delicious taste and texture.
It tastes tangy and cheesy with a soft tofu texture. You can taste the tang from the apple cider vinegar, dill and lemon juice with a cheesy and salty flavor from the salt and nutritional yeast.
⭐️Before you go! If you enjoyed this recipe for my Easy Vegan Feta, leave a review and comment down below! And if you aren't following me on social media, search @thedairyfreemenu for some more cooking inspiration!
Easy Vegan Feta
- 32-ounce mason jar
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill chopped finely
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt and fresh dill into the bottom of a 32-ounce mason jar. Mix it together and set aside.
- Drain the water from the tofu, then press it with paper towels to remove excess water. Next, chop the tofu in bite size pieces.
- Add the tofu in the mason jar.
- Tighten the lid onto the jar and shake to combine, then refrigerate overnight. Shake the jar every now and then while it marinates. The longer it marinates, the more flavorful it will be.
- Enjoy it with pizza, pasta, salad, toasted breads and more!
- For best flavor, let it marinate for 24 hours.
Note: The nutrition label is only an estimate. Amounts may vary.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!