This Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese is everything you love about macaroni and cheese. It's creamy and tangy with a savory and cheesy taste.
This recipe was inspired by Urban Bliss Life. I've added some additional ingredients to give a delicious tanginess and flavor in attempt to mimic that real cheesy taste.
Does It Taste Just Like Mac and Cheese?
Yes! I really think it does. But I also think it will depend on who you ask. It's creamy and tasty with a sharpness to it.
It does not have that classic mac and cheese taste that you're probably used to eating from a box, however.
While this dairy-free mac and cheese is not the healthiest dish you can find on the blog, it's incredibly tasty and comforting. Sometimes that's what the soul needs. And that's ok. So with that being said, in the world of Mac and cheeses, I think this recipe is a real winner.
So, let's get to the recipe already!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Daiya cheddar style cheese shreds- you can use your favorite tasting dairy-free cheese shreds, but, as far as taste, texture and quality goes for this recipe, I prefer Daiya!
- Daiya mozzarella style cheese shreds
- Country crock plant butter with avocado oil- I think this specific butter tastes the closest to real butter, so I use it in my recipes that need a buttery taste. Feel free to use your favorite dairy-free butter!
- Flour- I have tested this recipe with gluten-free all-purpose flour AND gluten-free macaroni noodles. It turned out just as delicious.
- Almond milk- For best flavor and quality, try using this homemade almond milk!
- Garlic cloves
- White pepper
- Ground mustard
- Nutritional yeast
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh lemon juice- don't leave this out! Fresh lemon adds a nice tang that helps mimic the taste of cheese!
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don't use or trust. Thank you for your support.
Products I Use for This Recipe
Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces elbow noodles
- ½ cup country crock plant butter
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 2 cups daiya cheddar style shreds
- 1 cup daiya mozzarella style shreds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Cook about 12 oz elbow noodles according to the instructions on the box (you can use less to make it extra creamy if you prefer).
- Slice the stick of non-dairy butter and melt it over medium heat with the grated garlic.
- Let the garlic cook down just a bit before whisking in the flour.
- Once the flour is whisked in, slowly add in the almond milk while whisking until smooth.
- Add in all of the spices and mix together.
- Whisk in the cheddar style shreds until melted, and then do the same with the mozzarella style shreds.
- Add in the juice of ½ a lemon and mix together.
- The cheese mixture will be very thick. That's perfect! Fold in the elbow noodles and serve.
Note: The nutrition label is just an estimate. Amounts may vary.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!