And yet another fall recipe has made it to the blog. This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is one you have to try! It's dairy free, but can easily be made vegan with one simple swap.
It doesn't have any cashews or any weird ingredients. Most of the ingredients you likely already have! If you don't have any nutritional yeast or non-dairy cheddar shreds, its time to go grab your favorite one and make this fall soup recipe!
Ingredients You'll Need for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Non-dairy butter- like always, use your favorite tasting non-dairy butter!
Flour- I use all-purpose but you can always try your flour of choice to fit your dietary standards
Tapioca or corn starch will act as a thickener in place of the heavy cream
Broth- if you are vegan you can of course use vegetable broth. I think chicken broth has a great taste so I use it!
Non-dairy cheddar shreds- use one that you really like the taste of. I think Daiya cheddar shreds has the best, most similar taste and it melts so nicely!
Salt and pepper
Ground mustard powder
Fresh lemon juice- to mimic that nice cheese tang that real cheeses have!
Broccoli- fresh or frozen
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don't use or trust. Thank you for your support
Products I Use for This Recipe
Broccoli Cheddar Soup (DF/Vegan Option)
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 yellow onion small, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves grated
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or corn starch
- 2 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 16 oz fresh or frozen broccoli chop in bite sized pieces if using fresh
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt see notes**
- ¾ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 7 oz bag of cheese shreds I use Daiya brand
- Start by finely chopping the onion, then add 1 tbs of the butter over medium-high heat in a pan. Add the onions and let it cook down until soft. You can sprinkle salt over the onions to help it cook faster. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
- Grate the garlic cloves in during the last minute of the onions cooking.
- Add the rest of the butter in and let it melt. Then sprinkle in the flour and whisk everything together.
- Mix in the tapioca/corn starch to the milk.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whisk the entire time so that no lumps form.
- Pour in the broth and continue to whisk.
- Turn up the heat so that the mixture comes to a gentle boil to thicken. Whisk to keep the contents from burning/sticking to the bottom.
- Once the mixture coats the back of the spoon, it has thickened enough and you can reduce the heat to low-medium.
- Pour in the cheddar shreds and keep whisking until it's smooth and totally melted.
- Add in all of the spices/seasonings and lemon juice, then mix together well.
- Add in the broccoli. I use frozen and just add it straight in the pot without thawing.
- Put a lid over the pot and let it cook for about 25 minutes.
- If using frozen broccoli you can transfer the larger broccoli pieces to the blender and gently process it until all of the pieces are small enough to your liking. Be careful not to over process and puree the soup unless that's the consistency you desire.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Coarse kosher salt does not measure the same as salts that are finely ground. If you aren't using a coarse salt, add salt to taste so your soup does not turn out too salty!
**Note: Nutrition label is just an estimate. Amounts may vary**