Air Fryer Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs are one of the simplest chicken recipes you can make. They are low calorie, low carb and a great source of protein. These chicken thighs are tender, juicy and so tasty. You only need a few ingredients and about 30 minutes until ready to serve.
My husband really loves to eat these chicken thighs sliced up and put in a wrap with lettuce, cheese, and ranch. They're a great, high-protein lunch choice! Just like this Mexican Tuna Salad and these Sticky Sesame Chickpeas.
When I make this recipe for dinner, I like to make it a complete meal by serving them with something like these Marinated Brussels Sprouts or Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower, and these Creamy Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes.
❤️Why You'll Love this Recipe
- It's made in the air fryer!
- It only takes about 20 minutes to cook.
- They are so tender and flavorful!
Lemon juice: I always recommend using fresh lemon juice for best taste and quality.
Spices: You can really use your favorite spices to cook with. I always tend to use salt, white pepper, garlic and onion powder and paprika. That's really all this chicken needs for great flavor-- other than fresh lemon juice!
Before seasoning the chicken, I like to use some kitchen scissors and trim up the fat and veins to clean up the chicken. This step is optional and a matter of preference.
Mix the spices together in a small bowl.
Place the chicken thighs in a medium sized bowl and pat them dry with a paper towel. This makes the spices adhere better and can help make the skin crispier.
Add in the spices, oil and lemon juice.
Mix until the chicken is evenly coated.
Spray the basket or tray of your air fryer with oil and place the chicken thighs in it. Do not overcrowd the basket. You want a single layer of chicken on the bottom.
Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for about 20 minutes (or until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit), flipping halfway.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Olive oil: A good, heart-healthy, substitute for olive oil is avocado oil. I would recommend using one of these two oils.
White pepper: Black pepper can be used in place of white pepper.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Reheating: Set the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for about 5 minutes.
Freezing: You can freeze leftover chicken thighs in a freezer safe ziplock or container for up to 2 months in the freezer. Cook the frozen chicken thigh at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes.
- Use fresh chicken over frozen. While frozen and thawed chicken will work, I find fresh chicken to be more flavorful.
- Use food prep gloves while handling raw meat. This isn't really a must, but it can be very helpful!
- Chicken thighs with the skin on can yield a crispier chicken thigh. If that's what you prefer, you may choose to buy your boneless chicken thighs with the skin on. You may need to cook your chicken for another 5 minutes or so if you use the skin-on.
- Use kitchen tongs to easily flip the chicken inside the air fryer.
- Do not eat undercooked chicken. Chicken that is safe to eat should reach a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do not place fresh produce or ready to eat items on any surfaces or utensils that have been touched with raw meat.
- Surfaces and utensils that have been touched with raw meat should be thoroughly washed and sanitized. This should be done after handling the raw meat and before preparing the next item.
- For more on food safety when handling raw chicken, visit the cdc.gov.
⁉️Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Chicken cooks wonderfully in the air fryer.
No. I recommend thawing the chicken first, draining any excess liquids and then patting the chicken dry before seasoning and cooking it.
This recipe for boneless skinless chicken thighs only takes about 20 minutes to cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, but this can vary by air fryer. Temperature and and the size of your chicken thighs can also effect the cook time.
You can. You may have to cook it longer, however.
⭐️Before you go! If you enjoyed this recipe for Air Fryer Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, please leave a review and let me know! I love to hear from you. And if you aren't following me on Instagram, search @thedairyfreemenu for some more cooking inspiration!
Air Fryer Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs about 1½ pounds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon olive oil equals 1½ teaspoons
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Before seasoning the chicken, I like to use some kitchen scissors and trim up the fat and veins to clean up the chicken. This step is optional and a matter of preference.
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken thighs in a medium sized bowl and pat them dry with paper towels. Then add in the spices, oil and lemon juice.
- Mix until the chicken is evenly coated on both sides.
- Spray the basket or tray of your air fryer with oil and place the chicken thighs in it. Do not overcrowd the basket. You want a single layer of chicken on the bottom.
- Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for about 20 minutes (or until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit), flipping halfway.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- How long it takes to cook the chicken depends on the size of the chicken thighs. Larger thighs may require additional time.
- Chicken that is safe to consume should reach a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Note: The nutrition label is only an estimate. Amounts may vary.